Treatments for Rosacea and Facial Thread Veins at our Milton Keynes Clinic
Understanding Rosacea and Facial Thread Veins
Rosacea is a common skin condition that causes redness, flushing, and visible blood vessels on the face. It can also cause bumps or pimples similar to acne. Facial thread veins are small, dilated blood vessels that can also appear on the face with rosacea.
Types of Rosacea
There are two main types of rosacea:
- Red face rosacea: causes persistent redness, flushing, and visible blood vessels or spider veins.
- Red face rosacea with acne-like spots: involves additional symptoms such as papules and pustules that resemble acne.
Dr Bassam Zeina, MD, PhD
“I am a senior doctor fully licensed by The General Medical Council, with membership in The Royal Society of Medicine and the British Association of Dermatologists. My specialism is dermatology, with over three decades of experience treating skin in both a medical and cosmetic capacity. For the last 34 years, I’ve been helping people feel more confident in themselves through treatment of countless skin conditions.”
While there is no guaranteed cure for rosacea and facial thread veins, there are several treatments available to help manage the symptoms and reduce the appearance of redness and spots.
Treatments for Redness:
- Mirvaso (brimonidine) topical gel: an effective treatment for reducing redness, which works for 75% of people within minutes. However, 25% of users may not tolerate the side effects. Our rosacea consultation will discuss these side effects in detail. Mirvaso can also be used as a party treatment, meaning some people use it for special occasions when they don’t want to wear makeup.
- Laser therapy: a focused beam of light is used to shrink the blood vessels, usually improving results by 70% in 3-6 treatments, with benefits lasting 3-8 years.
- Lifestyle changes: avoiding triggers such as hot and spicy foods, alcohol, and extreme temperatures can help to reduce redness and flushing. Protecting the skin from the sun’s harmful rays with sunscreen and hats, and using gentle skincare products that don’t irritate the skin are also important.
- Camouflage: Changing Faces prescribes waterproof concealers and creams specifically designed to cover redness for any skin color. These products can help to temporarily cover redness and improve the appearance of the skin. You can refer yourself to the charity Changing Faces for additional support and resources.
Treatments for Spots:
- Topical medications: creams or gels that are applied directly to the skin to reduce inflammation and may also help clear papules and pustules.
- Oral medications: antibiotics may be prescribed to help reduce inflammation and redness. Other medications may also be used in some cases.
At Alternative Clinic, our experienced dermatologist Dr. Bassam Zeina offers a range of treatments for rosacea and facial thread veins, including:
- Mirvaso topical gel
- Laser therapy (not suitable for all patients)
- Topical and oral medications
Dr. Zeina will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that meets your unique needs and goals. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards healthier, clearer skin.